KLR 650C federbein

alles rund um das 650er Fahrwerk, Bremsen, Federung usw
chaopie
beteiligt sich

KLR 650C federbein

Beitrag von chaopie »

Sorry but I don't speak german so I write here in english
I would like to upgrade my KLR rear shock and I have read here that the LC4 WP is a good and easy option
My question is about the donnor
What is the best option in the KTM 640 LC4 family
duke? enduro? sm?
I hope that someone here have the answer to start my research on ebay

best regards

Pierre from France
Nordlicht
Foreninventar
Danksagung erhalten: 73 Mal

Beitrag von Nordlicht »

Hi,

I can't answer your question about the best choice of KTM models.
The easiest would be to use an A model shock with a heavier Eibach spring.

Shock overhaul and mounting the new spring are easy to do and don't require frame modifications like the WP mod.

The A model shock is also easily adjustable from the outside.

If your budget is not that tight you could order a new Wilbers shock during the 'Oktoberfest', an annual rebate sale with up to 28% in price reduction.

These shocks are made to your specifications like weight, pillion, luggage and riding style.

I never got my head around why people would install an old and abused shock from an unknown source without even thinking about checking the innards and trusting their life on it.

On another note: Have you done the Doohickey ? :)
2008 KLR 650E/685, EM-Doo, ThermoBob, KLX-Kit 42/142, Leo X3, 16/43, UNI Filter, Melvin Stahlflex, Wilbers Federbein & prog. Gabelfedern, Gabelstabi, Barkbuster Storm, SW-Motech Sturzbügel, JNS Motorschutz.

2008 XR 650L
1988 XLV 750
chaopie
beteiligt sich

Beitrag von chaopie »

thank you for your answer
I 'll look for this option and try to find an A model on ebay to do the job
WP shock seems to be a good option because these shocks have a good image of quality, but as you wrote it, some over choices could be better (choice of weight and use)
I have to look during this winter the famous doohichey
This bike is for my son.. I work on it to securise it, so the doohichey is going to be upgrade by an eagle one i think

Pierre
Chef
Foreninventar
Danksagung erhalten: 72 Mal

Re: KLR 650C federbein

Beitrag von Chef »

Eagle Mike-Doo ist a good choice! :D

Up to your question:
chaopie hat geschrieben:...What is the best option in the KTM 640 LC4 family
duke? enduro? sm?...
Depends on the length of the shock.
The enduro-model of the 620 or 640 LC4's has a similar lenght to your stock one.
The earlier Duke should work too, but with a shock from a SM-Model could be too less pitch of spring.
I built in 2 WP's from the enduro-model. One with a lenght of 40.1 cm (came up a little bit) and another one with 41.0 cm (came up a lot).
Several month ago, I was working around a SM-version but didn't trust the shorter piston rod.
The SM-version may work too - but I didn't test it yet.
Try to get a shock from a enduro version.
Or link the offer, you want to buy, here, so we can try to figure it out.

Gruß Chef
Männer sind wie Kinder - nur die Spielzeuge werden etwas teurer
jo-sommer
Foreninventar
Danksagung erhalten: 62 Mal

Beitrag von jo-sommer »

Hi Pierre and first of all - welcome to the forum.

I just installed an overhauled WP (Enduro type of 41 cm length) from a 620 KTM. Those can be sent to the factory for overhauling (something about 100 Euro) which will include a check of the spring, new seals and gas.
The rear end of the KLR came up significantly, but this can be adjusted in a certain rate by the preset of the spring. The shock is fully adjustable and those shocks are available with different springs acc. to the weight of driver, pillion and/or luggage as well.

A used one from eBay plus overhauling will sum up to some 200-250 Euros.

One of the YSS shocks might be an option as well as these are offering at an aggressive price level to increase sales at the moment, as far as I know these are available at prices under 300 Euros.

Cheers, Jo
Die Schwarze Sau: '88er 650A, leicht modifiziert, nervt!
chaopie
beteiligt sich

Beitrag von chaopie »

very glad to find people like you in this forum
It's a chance to have all these practical infos
the KLR C is not developped in US so they dont have your experience with the WP shock in their forum
Of course as I use these complete remanufacturable WP shocks on my BMW HPN, I believe in this product that's why I want to upgrade my original KLR shock with a WP

can you tell me how many cm the seat came up with a 40,5 or with te 41 cm eye to eye shock ? my son is 1,84 cm tall and I think it will not be a problem

The fork must be change? or is it a good idea to try the fork swap for a KLXR, Yamaha or KTM front fork?

Pierre
Mud Flap
Foreninventar
Wohnort: Ratingen, Letzter Außenposten des Bergischen Landes
Danksagung erhalten: 51 Mal

Beitrag von Mud Flap »

Welcome Pierre,

The C Model was not sold in the US.
Additionally the LC4 swap seems to be a typical Europian/German swap, as they might not be as "cheap" and often sold there.
Additonally there are multiple other affordable suppliers on the US market as they do not have such a strictly approval situation like here.

I currently ride a shock of an 2003 640 SM with 75/260 spring (75: springrate, 260 length of spring)

Some additional considerations if you definitely want to go this way:
- All LC4 shocks come from bikes that are often roughly used, so rework is a must. (Costs)
(My first one from 1994 spread its oil through the hole town during first testride before rework)
- No shocks for PDS use work (ignore orange springs)
- Mid Eye-to-mid eye lenght 400mm (same length as Kawa), 410mm (back comes up)
- The KLR is heavier: Look for higher springrates than the usual 63-66/260
- maybe some recent Adventure models using higher springrates from stock.
- Some reworkers also have used springs for a direct swap when service is done.

- Needed Modifying at KLR:
Welded Nut at frame has to be moved to the other side.
Lower left subframe holder has to be cut smaller (in most cases)

- Needed shock modifying:
Drill upper mounting from 10 to 12mm
Upper mounting inlets are 2,5mm (?) too wide (sanding, ...)
Lower mounting a bit too wide (whasher) and uses M10 instead M12 of the Kawa. (Adapting sleeve, or make use of the M12 bolt)

- Disadvantages:
Mechanical modifying needed (Not every ones basket)
Pre-adjusting the springload is difficult and often needs removing the shock.
Removing the shock requires removing the subframe (upper subframe bolts)

As it seems to be common for KTM to change springs and shocks for the riders needs, so it might be tricky to find the real history of the shocks on ebay.
In some cases a stamped No. at the lower mounting could give a hint.

Example of my two shocks:
Stamped: K4T94EL -> LC4 EGS 620 Enduro,from 1994, Spring 62-260, Lenght 410mm
KTM-Part. 58304010200, superseeded 58304010500, which was the model of 1995

My current one, was sold as used in an 300 EXC, but it comes from a change and is originally:
Stamped: 0118X730 (= KTM-Part-no.) -> Shock family MONOSHOCK 4681 BAVP from LC4 640 SM (SuperMoto), of 2003, Spring 75-260, lenght: 401mm

The mentioned alternative Wilbers or YSS are also based of the existance of German / EU approvals for streetlegal use.

Jan
KL650A1 blau, Miniblinker, Acerbis Discschutz, Baja Fender + Mud Flap; Zeta Armor+ XCpro; Stahlflex; Alu-Skid; EM-Torsion-Doo; Wilbers Gabelfedern; Sturzbügel; Telefix; Hotfoot Schleifer, Supersprox, KLX-R Mod; Gucchi-Bob, Tommaselli Dakkar, GPR-GP New Style (rep again), Tweety iss tot, MRA-Scheibe, LED-DRL/Fog; Blue KLR-Club-Member #334
chaopie
beteiligt sich

Beitrag von chaopie »

very clear

thank you for the time you spent to help me in my research
These explanations are very helpful for my project and I know now what i have to find and what I must do
I will ask some other questions on over thread soon, I hope the answers will be as suitable as those about my shock
best regards

Pierre
chaopie
beteiligt sich

Beitrag von chaopie »

I found a WP for a KTM duke
ref 0118Y7.36 Monoshock 4681 Bavp Duke 04
the spring is a 70-260
As I saw in your last post I think this could be a good choice
do you agree ?
Mud Flap
Foreninventar
Wohnort: Ratingen, Letzter Außenposten des Bergischen Landes
Danksagung erhalten: 51 Mal

Beitrag von Mud Flap »

Now we come to the tricky part of the story.
In most cases shocks of enduro, Adventurer, or Rally models are used.
Why? It is hard to find out the internal differences.
These Link-system-shocks of KTM/WP we are looking for, are interchangable cross KTM from the outside (!) specs.
Regardless, if you have an EXC, SMC, Enduro, SX, Duke... But internally...
A shock for an EXC may not be the first choice for a (Street-)Duke and vice versa.
(This would need detailed part-listing, WP-shock building knowledge and detailed comparison of the different bike physics)
For an WP reworker it might be easy to turn a street shock into a hardenduro one, he has the spare parts.
Even higher or lower is possible (change of the rods), but Money?

If you have a KTM dealer near you:
Ask him, without mention the KLR in the first step:
"for an 2004 Enduro some one offered you a Duke2 shock of 2004"
If not recommended, why?

Later you might mention the KLR and with a little luck you have your shock service...

To your mentioned shock:
The overall length with 398mm eye-to-eye should be ok.
It will keep the original high of the KLR.
From the Part-drawing it looks, that it might also have an angled reservoir mount.
(not straight in line with the upper mounting bolt)

But I am not sure if the Duke shocks are restricted in the moving distance.
It is from the second Duke generation starting in 2004.
Also the internal setup might be for street use.
(Compared with the enduro versions, for example this is numbered 0118Y734 for the 2004)

I personally would go for an Enduro/Adventurer (rare) /Rally (more than rare) shock, just to avoid.
(I bought mine as beeing used as an update in an 300 EXC an saw later that it was originally from a SuMo.
If anything is changed internally, I do not know)

The shock:
http://www.ktm-versand.de/product_info. ... ---04.html
(click on any of the motorbike drawings, don´t be afraid of the German the rest is English)

Pix of the Duke 2:
https://www.google.de/search?q=640+duke ... DjMQsAQIGw
KL650A1 blau, Miniblinker, Acerbis Discschutz, Baja Fender + Mud Flap; Zeta Armor+ XCpro; Stahlflex; Alu-Skid; EM-Torsion-Doo; Wilbers Gabelfedern; Sturzbügel; Telefix; Hotfoot Schleifer, Supersprox, KLX-R Mod; Gucchi-Bob, Tommaselli Dakkar, GPR-GP New Style (rep again), Tweety iss tot, MRA-Scheibe, LED-DRL/Fog; Blue KLR-Club-Member #334
Antworten